Foreign minister says progress has been made in Gulf crisis but not stop announcing a breakthrough.
Kuwaiti Foreign Minister Sheikh Ahmad Nasser al-Sabah said there had been “constructive and fruitful discussions” about efforts to achieve reconciliation in the Gulf crisis.
The foreign minister said on Friday that there had been progress in resolving the dispute, which Saudi Arabia and its allies have been boycotting Qatar since mid-2017.
He stopped to announce a breakthrough in the argument.
“There have recently been fruitful discussions in which all sides have expressed their determination … to reach a final agreement,” said al-Sabah in a statement read on Kuwait television, thanking the White House senior adviser, Jared Kushner, for his “recent endeavors”.
After the statement, Qatar’s Foreign Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani thanked Kuwait for its mediation.
The Kuwaiti Declaration is an imperative to resolve the GCC crisis. We thank the State of Kuwait for their mediation and the United States for their efforts. The interest and safety of the people in the Gulf and in the region remain our top priority.
– @ بن عبدالرحمن (@MBA_AlThani_) December 4, 2020
“The Kuwaiti Declaration is a crucial step in solving the GCC crisis. We thank the State of Kuwait for their mediation and the United States for their efforts, ”Al Thani said on Twitter.
“People’s interest and safety in the Gulf and the region remains our top priority,” he added.
Earlier on Friday, Al Thani said there had been movement to settle the bitter diplomatic dispute but had no predictions whether a breakthrough was imminent or whether the matter would be fully resolved.
Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt imposed a diplomatic, trade and travel boycott on Qatar on June 5, 2017, accusing Doha of supporting terrorism and maintaining relations with Iran that were deemed too close.
Qatar has repeatedly denied the allegations as unfounded, while emphasizing its willingness to engage in dialogue.