Al-Megrahi’s family and some relatives of the Scottish victims have always doubted his guilt and said the truth is not yet known.

The family of Libyan Abdel Basset al-Megrahi, the only person found guilty of the 1988 Lockerbie bombing and killing 270 people, failed to overturn his conviction after making a posthumous appeal before a Scottish man on Friday Lost court.

Al-Megrahi, a Libyan intelligence officer who died in 2012, was imprisoned for life in 2001 after convicted of the murder of 243 passengers, 16 crew members and 11 residents of Lockerbie in the deadliest attack in British history.

Five judges on the Court of Criminal Appeal in Scotland dismissed appeals against his conviction.

Al-Megrahi’s son Ali said the family was broken by Friday’s ruling and directed their legal team to appeal to the UK Supreme Court, Aamer Anwar, the al-Megrahi’s family lawyer, said in a statement.

“He has preserved his father’s innocence and is determined to keep the promise he made to clear his name and that of Libya,” said Anwar.

Pan Am Flight 103 was blown up over the Scottish town of Lockerbie en route from London to New York in December 1988, carrying mostly Americans on the way home for Christmas.

After years of fighting and sanctions against Libya, al-Megrahi and a second man, Al-Amin Khalifa Fahima, were brought to trial in the Netherlands in 2000 under Scottish law.

Al-Megrahi was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum sentence of 27 years, while Fahima was found not guilty.

Al-Megrahi, who denied involvement in the attack, died in Libya in 2012 after being released three years earlier by the Scottish government on compassionate grounds after being diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer.

Former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi took responsibility for the bombing in his country in 2003 and paid compensation to the victims’ families, but did not admit to personally ordering the attack.

However, al-Megrahi’s family and some relatives of the Scottish victims have always doubted his guilt, saying that the truth is not yet known.

Abdel Basset al-Megrahi, right, is taken to a court in Tripoli, Libya by a police officer on February 18, 1992 [Jockel Fink/AP]


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here