According to a court ruling, the Dutch government is offering a system that allows children of men who have undergone brief execution to claim € 5,000 in compensation.
The Dutch government has announced that it will offer compensation to the children of Indonesians who were executed by Dutch soldiers during the Indonesian War of Independence between 1945 and 1950.
The announcement on Monday follows a court ruling earlier this year calling for the state to compensate widows and children of 11 men killed between 1946 and 1947 on the southern Indonesian island of Sulawesi, then called Celebes.
Dutch judges also previously suggested arguments by the state that the violence committed by its former colonial ruler during Indonesia’s struggle for independence was subject to a statute of limitations.
In a joint letter to Parliament, Dutch Foreign Minister Stef Blok and Defense Minister Ank Bijleveld said they would not appeal the March court ruling.
“Children who can show that their father was the victim of a summary execution as described … are entitled to compensation,” the two ministers said, adding that the compensation was 5,000 euros (US $ 5,890).
However, those seeking compensation were required to meet a number of criteria, including proof that the parent had actually been killed in a documented execution and proof of paternity through identification papers.
Dutch courts hear several other cases of relatives seeking compensation for atrocities committed by Dutch colonial forces during so-called purges to exterminate Indonesian freedom fighters.
At least 860 men were killed by firing squads, mainly between December 1946 and April 1947 in Sulawesi.
In 2013 the Dutch government apologized for the murders carried out by its colonial army and announced compensation to the widows of the deceased, but had consistently refused to pay compensation to their children.
A government spokesman said it was not clear how many people would seek compensation under the new regime.