Two detectives in connection with the murder of a black woman in her home receive letters of resignation.

Police in the US city of Louisville have taken steps that could result in the sacking of two officers linked to the murder of a 26-year-old black woman, Breonna Taylor, at her home.

Detective Joshua Jaynes received a resignation letter, media reported Tuesday.

It came after an investigation by the Professional Standards Unit found that he had violated department warrant preparation and truthfulness procedures, his attorney said.

Detective Myles Cosgrove also received a letter of resignation, media reported later, citing his lawyer Jarrod Beck.

Kentucky’s attorney general said it was Cosgrove who appeared to have fired the fatal shot at Taylor, according to ballistic tests.

The shooting sparked months of protests in Louisville, along with national protests against racial injustice and police misconduct.

Jaynes has a hearing with interim chief Yvette Gentry and her staff on Thursday.

“Detective Jaynes and I will appear for the pre-termination hearing to try to convince the incumbent chief gentry that this action is unjustified,” Attorney Thomas Clay told the Courier Journal. “Jaynes didn’t do anything wrong.”

Jaynes was absent from Taylor’s Louisville apartment during filming. About 12 hours earlier, he had received a no-knock arrest warrant from a judge.

In Jaynes’ pre-notice letter, Gentry said the officer “committed extreme violations of our policies that put others at risk”.

“Your actions have discredited you and the department,” she wrote. “Your behavior has seriously damaged the image our department has built in our community.”

The officers were serving a narcotics warrant when they shot Taylor on March 13, but no drugs or cash were found in her home.

Taylor was a paramedic who had settled in for the night the police stormed through her door.

Former officer Brett Hankison was charged by a grand jury on willful endangerment, a low-level crime, for shooting into an adjoining apartment where people were present.

The two officers who shot Taylor based on ballistic findings were not charged by the grand jury.

One of these officers was shot dead by Taylor’s friend during the raid and returned fire.

Taylor’s friend said he thought an intruder was going to break into her home.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here