Football fan Simon Dobbin, who was seriously injured and brain damaged after an attack by 12 men, died five years after the attack.

Cambridge United supporter Dobbin was paralyzed and unable to walk or speak after being attacked by the thugs after an away game in Southend, Essex, in 2015.

The club announced the news of his death on Twitter on Wednesday.

“It is with a heavy heart that Cambridge United can confirm that we received the devastating news that Simon Dobbin sadly passed away at home this morning.

“Sweet dreams, Simon. Forever a U. Everyone at Cambridge United’s thoughts go out to his wife, Nicole, daughter, Emily, and his closest family and friends.

“We ask the supporters to leave their condolences for Simon’s family at this difficult time.

“Rest in peace, Simon.”

It is with a heavy heart that Cambridge United can confirm that we received the devastating news that Simon Dobbin sadly passed away at home this morning. Sweet dreams Simon. Forever a U 💛 🖤 pic.twitter.com/mNB5wlaBJP

– Cambridge United FC (@CambridgeUtdFC) October 21, 2020

Everyone at @CambridgeUtdFC’s thoughts go out to his wife Nicole, daughter Emily, and close family and friends. We ask the supporters to leave their condolences for Simon’s family at this difficult time. Rest in peace Simon. pic.twitter.com/NTRxPfzcwn

– Cambridge United FC (@CambridgeUtdFC) October 21, 2020

Simon’s wife, Nicole, said he died in his sleep on Wednesday morning and that his death came as a shock to both her and her daughter Emily as he “was just the person he was used to, laughing and smiling the day before.”

“RIP Simon” started the trend soon after on Twitter in the UK when the 48-year-old was honored, some of which were retweeted by Cambridge.

Very sad news Simon Dobbin was injured with brain damage after an attack in Southend in 2015. Twelve men were arrested for the attack. Unfortunately he passed away this morning. My thoughts, as I am sure, are all with his friends and family. RIP Simon pic.twitter.com/ys7NXRjgpr

– BR Simon BRFC Hopkins ⚽ (@HopkinsBRFC) October 21, 2020

I’m not a Cambridge fan, but I live in the area where I heard this story when I first read about the horrific attack. Nobody should go to a soccer game and destroy their life that way. Truly tragic news – my thoughts are with Simon’s family and friends. RIP Simon

– Paul T (@HamptonCaught) October 21, 2020

Several clubs also responded to the news, including Bristol City, Northampton Town and Leyton Orient.

Last year Nicole Dobbin filed a petition for “Simon’s Law” calling for those convicted of violent public disturbance to make life-long payments to the National Health Service – with a maximum sentence of five years.

“My husband Simon Dobbin was attacked by 12 thugs on March 21, 2015,” she wrote in the petition. “This was an unprovoked attack that lasted 90 seconds. He was attacked repeatedly. He suffered cardiac arrest and it took paramedics seven minutes to restart his heart. Simon now has hypoxic brain damage, he can no longer walk, speak or move, he is being fed through a tube, he has a tracheotomy and needs to be cared for around the clock. ”



Also on rt.com
Police say that a 12-year-old boy who racially abused Premier League star Wilfried Zaha is “extremely remorseful” after completing his diversity training


Justice Secretary Robert Buckland said the idea was impractical after meeting her to discuss the idea, but he said he would look into jail terms for such convictions.

At the time of writing, the petition has more than 49,000 signatures, with new signatures coming in following news of Simon’s death.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here